• Axminster: 01297 630700
  • Seaton: 01297 626950
  • Chard: 01460 269700
  • Honiton: 01404 548050

Law updates from our solicitors and legal experts

News & Insights

Beviss and Beckingsale
Frances Griffiths

Energy Saving Home Improvements and Building Regulations

Posted by Frances Griffiths on April 2nd 2014 in All , MOVING HOUSE .

Making improvements (particularly to improve energy efficiency) to your home can add value but in some cases failure to obtain correct consents or not using a professional company can lead to costly mistakes when coming to sell or rent your property.  

If you own a home or rental property, you are legally responsible for compliance with the Building Regulations.

Sellers need to consider a number of Building Regulations when making home improvements. 

For example:

  • Only a Gas Safe registered engineer can fit a new gas appliance. Once a gas appliance has been installed it can only be registered by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • BENCHMARK and CORGI are registered as Gas Safe Engineers.  The Building Regulations in England and Wales make it a legal requirement for the appropriate Local Authority  to be informed about the installation of a heat producing gas appliance e.g. boiler or fire.
  • NICEIC is the UK’s leading voluntary regulatory body for the electrical contracting industry. It assesses the electrical competence of electricians.  NICEIC enables householders and landlords to find reputable contractors that are registered to certify their own work to the relevant Building Regulations.
  • The installation of a wood burning stove or AGA needs to be carried out by a competent person to comply with current Building Regulations.  If the competent person is an OFTEC approved (Oil Firing Technical Association) they will issue you with a certificate of compliance upon completion of the work. 
  • HETAS is the official body recognized by Government to approve biomass and solid fuel domestic heating appliances, fuels and services, including the registration of competent installers and servicing businesses.
  • FENSA stands for the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme. When replacing windows and doors, homeowners must comply with current thermal performance standards and ensure they get a certificate from FENSA or Local Authority Building Control. FENSA enables companies that install replacement windows and doors to self-certify compliance under these Building Regulations without the need for a separate assessment from Building Control.

It is important to ensure that you keep copies of certificates as lost documentation can often lead to a delay in your house sale and in some cases you may be charged for obtaining replacement certificates by the Local Authority or relevant provider.

If you would like further information please contact our property team.